Tuesday, May 18, 2010

The squirrels continue to dig up my flower beds? What can I do?

cayene pepper sprinkled in your bed will keep them away . they have eaten the rose buds off my bush and I am sick of them .

The squirrels continue to dig up my flower beds? What can I do?
,The only sure answer is to shoot Grey Squirrels. There are countless ,nets , wires, sprays, jellies, cages, repellents etc, but permanent removal is the cure.
Reply:It is really a frustrating problem. Not sure what you've already tried...mine stopped digging up the beds and containers when we stopped feeding ANY wildlife, kept providing water, and let our cat hang out outside. I still get an occasional dig, but the plants are mature enough now to handle it.





I heard some lore that they are attracted to the smell of freshly turned earth and that does seem to be true. Its definitely the beds I am working in that get "attacked." For a while I draped bird netting over the beds, but that created a whole other set of more annoying problems.





While shooting and trapping them does get rid of them temporarily, another squirrel will just take over the territory. I don't have the stomach for that, so i needed to find a way to coexist with them.


No comments:

Post a Comment