Monday, May 24, 2010

What can I plant in my flower bed?

It's about 10 feet long, but here's my problem- we do not have rain gutters (and my husband says we can't afford to put any up yet) and the flower bed is right underneath where the rain comes off the roof. So when it rains, any flowers that I have planted get demolished and uprooted. I need to plant something that can take the beating. I was thinking ivy. Will this work? Any other ideas?

What can I plant in my flower bed?
A couple of Ideas would be to install any type of item ie: a board a small piece of plastic..or a single piece of rain gutter just over where your flowers are..In my town you can get a 10 ft.section of gutter for under 5 dollars at the home center..then just nail it to the eaves of your house to divert the water away from your flowers..problem solved..


Or..you could move you flowers closer to the house or farther away so as the rain does not beat down on them..we had that problem until I did all of the above..


Good Luck with your project and grow something Green it goes with anything..
Reply:It is hard to get a bed established under these conditions. The problem is the fresh new dirt and plants just can't withstand the force of the water.





You need to avoid the exact line of the heaviest flow. You will probably have a good idea where that is because there are more rocks than dirt in that line.





I would plant behind that area and in front of that area. As your ground cover gets established it will spread and cover the rocks. It will take a couple of years.





Another idea is to make a rock bed. Use those pretty round smooth stones. Plant your flowers in flower pots and position them on top of the rocks so they aren't under the heaviest flow.

graffiti tags

No comments:

Post a Comment