Monday, May 24, 2010

Is there anything special that needs to be put down before putting down mulch around trees and flower beds?

I certainly wouldn't put weed and feed down in flower beds. I would also be careful about putting mulch against the bark of trees. That can lead to damage to the tree as it lets micro-organisms stay against the bark.





After I plant my beds I usually put down newspaper, 8-10 sheets thick before I put bark or wood chip mulch. You can also use commercially available ground cloth but I like to recycle when I can. If I'm planting small plants, seedlings, I may put the cloth down first and cut an X in the cloth where I plan to put the plant.

Is there anything special that needs to be put down before putting down mulch around trees and flower beds?
I do two things. I use a weed and feed on beds that have a lot of plants and around trees so that I stop weeds and also fertilize under the mulch. If I am not planting or the bed does not have plant material, before I mulch, I will sometimes put a weed barrier cloth on the ground before mulching. Both save a lot of time and effort, but neither is necessary before mulching.
Reply:yes you need to put a membrane down first to stop weeds coming threw the name of one type is called terram


No comments:

Post a Comment