Saturday, November 19, 2011

I live in rural missouri... when should i start planting seeds in my flower beds?

I live in rural missouri too near the missouri- arkansas line.....i usally start planting seeds sometime next month after the next frost ends......so they dont die....lol

I live in rural missouri... when should i start planting seeds in my flower beds?
Here in Massachusetts we plant cold-weather plants like spinach and carrots as soon as you can dig the soil; i.e. it is no longer frozen. Warm weather plants such as corn, beans and pumpkins which would be harmed by a frost are planted 'when the oak leaves are as big as a squirrel's ear'.





You should be able to figure out when that would be for your area.





BTW, with Global Warming, the USDA Zones have moved north by about 1/2 a zone so the absolute dates have changed, but the nature-related clues still apply because they keep up with the weather change.
Reply:I live just north of you in southern Iowa. My rule of thumb is to wait till Mother's Day to plant stuff outdoors . That always seems to work well for me.


1 comment:

  1. Propagate primula by planting seeds between January and late March.The marigold, a favorite annual garden flower, has dozens of varieties, with more lives, the yucca will develop seeds which you can harvest and save to plant in the spring.marigold and big marigold, according to the Missouri Botanical Gardens.
    Don Blankenship

    ReplyDelete